Saturday, May 26, 2007

Cool Hand Luke

Netflix has afforded me the benefit of watching movies that I have always wanted to see but never got around to it. John Cusack says in the movie Serendipity that his charactor's favorite film in "Cool Hand Luke" starring Paul Newman. I of course had to venture to see it for myself...

Cool Hand Luke and Maxx Hackett are one and the same. Both seem to have ample intelligence but not enough to match their amount of daring(guts) that they seem to ride life on. We respect authority but understand its flaws and try to run from it yet always ending up back under it's thumb. Most importantly our relationship with God is the same. Luke doesn't believe in other's concept of God but knows he's there. In the climax of the movie Luke escapes the prison camp to make it to a church where he presents his case to God. All Luke asks for is a sign of from God, letting him now he's around. When no answer stirs he walks out to the authorities with the classic line "What we have hear is a failure to communicate." He is shot dead with a smile on his face. When I am out in the wilderness on my bike or driving in my car with the music blaring at sunset it is the time where I feel like communication is at it's best yet I am only told the least.

No comments: