Thursday, July 26, 2007

8 Hours Ahead of Home

I've come through - I have made it to Qatar. Through perseverance and politics I have swindled my way into getting blogger.com allowed on a government network. With this blog posts will hopefully be more frequent than as of late.

Local time is 0038, eight hours ahead of EST, with the thermometer reading 97 F coinciding with 59% humidity. Needless to say it is hot and desolate. The sand and rock is more white than what I once knew as sand. My eyes feel as if they are staring directly into the sun all the time.

As a child I allowed the sun to bleach my hair and dry my wet body after swimming in the pool. In the winter months the sun would warm me while on the chair lift at the ski resort. Here the sun plays the role of diminisher. We were briefed that when we go out the sun will kill us of heat stroke before the scorpians, camel spiders or rodents(all disease ridden) will. The day wears on my eyes like a yard tool would one's bare hand.

Although I can not talk about what I'm doing here I will say it is very worthwhile. For the first time since hurricane Katrina, maybe even basic training, it is as if we are in the middle of the mission. We know why we are here and are working directly in line with the war effort.

Goals are everywhere to obtain, I may be able to take school and or CLEPS while I am here. Lots of opportunities to exercise so I can be a powerhouse on the bike when I get back to California.

Closing remarks,

I am safe, out of harms way.
My flight was long but good. Germany, Switzerland and Italy from 30,000+ is beautiful.
The island of Crete is an ugly rock but Chania is a cool town, good lamb.
It is hot.
I am not able to view my blog so I will be unable to view any comments left by readers.
Email me at maxxhackett@hotmail.com, I will get to it when I can.
I love you all and you get me through the day.

No comments: