Tuesday, January 09, 2007

It's All in the Reflexes

Grocery shopping had been put off for long enough so I finally broke down and went to the Yuba City walmart. My friends Andrade & Schwartz accompanied me on this mission for rations. After retrieving the necessary foods Andrade noted that he desired to watch a movie and drink beer so we ventured to the $5 DVDs. Often there are multiple copies of the same titles however on this occasion there was only one copy of John Carpenter's cinematic masterpiece Big Trouble in Little China. Schwartz said that he had never seen it - Andrade & I exchanged a glance and simaltaneously said "We need to get this movie!" We went back to the dorms and experienced the 1980s timelessness; the great one liners delivered by Kurt Russell's character Jack Burton and randomness of the plotline and props.

Jack Burton lines: "It's all in the reflexes"..."Can you stop rubbing your body against mine it makes it difficult to concentrate"..."You ladies sit tight, hold down the fort, keep the fires burning - if we're not back by dawn...call the president"..."That magic potion?...We drink?...Gives us powers?...Cool"

Christmas was nice back in Maine. I realized that I want to go to school back east. Medicine is my discipline of choice. My mother is an amazing person. Maine is great. Sugarloaf is the ideal northeast ski area. Audrey is still beautiful. Sophie's not far behind if lagging at all. Maine air breathed by familiar faces rejuvenates you.

Well I'm off, you know how it goes - bitches to see, mountains to ski.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks maxx,
although i've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that i'm going to be basically a nun for the rest of my life.
-sophie