Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Poor Old Makebeliever

In 1968 Stax records released Johnnie Taylor's Who's Making Love? LP. It was a typical stax recording with Booker T & the MGs on rhythm, Issac Hayes on keyboards/piano and the memphis horns on wind. I've had the album since high school and listen to it whenever I want true rhythm & blues music for my heart to beat along too - however there is one song on there that has struck my pace into a new rhythm. The LP's Poor Old Makebeliever is identifiable in its message about ideals & dreams.

Really I am just a bullshitter. Coasting my way from one conquest to the next make believing that I will embark on some grand adventure. Whether the adventure me treking the sierra nevada or dating an overly interesting woman I am makebelieving that I know what is going on; after all, it is comforting to know that we can be in control in case of unforeseen circumstances. My earliest recognitions of child's play was acting in alternative roles from my life, searching for that escape. Maybe some of us never grow out of it. Maybe what Mr. Tayler is singing about, Booker T and his MGs are playing to is that the real struggle in life is the merge of our makebelieve with our reality.

No comments: