Sunday, August 28, 2005

There's a Storm A Comin'

Wow, so much has happened since the last post.....
My squadron, the 338th Dark Knights are here the longest for training. We also have the highest test scores within the triangle(the campus area is called the triangle) so for some reason people in the 338th feel that they can drink alcohol underage and then drive a car. However the mississippi law enforcement community as well as Keesler AFB security forces division feel otherwise. More Dark Knights have been caught w/ DUIs than any other squadron in the triangle so we had to have a mandatory alcohol awareness training on our day off. It was long and useless in my opinion. The info given is the same info everyone heard before prom night in highschool and during their D.A.R.E. program in middle school. My view is that the people who are going to drink alcohol irresponsibly & underage are going to do it no matter what repititious lecture you give them. Some people need lectures on basic decision making not the effects of alcohol.

Then after the breifing I had to go pull floor gaurd @ the squadron for 6 hours. My duties being to make sure no one lights the building on fire or does anything crazy. It is useless for the most part seeing as how per a MTL(military training leader) there has never been such an act in the history of any AF training installation. But if people in the Army would do it to their buildings, obviously people the in the AF would do it to their buildings. On a serious note, I see their point but living in the dorm my peers and I know that the floor gaurd shift is uncalled for.

Finally my weekend started on Friday night @ 6:15, I went to Cajun's fabulous fried chicken buffet and it was out of this world good. My friend Henderson joined me and let me tell you that restaurant lost $ when we walked through those doors. Then we went to the mall and I purchased the John Cusack film "Say Anything" which is such a ridulously great movie I suggest everyone see it. Anyone who really knows me, really knows about my past and who I am as a person will agree that I am the main character Lloyd Dobbs. He is I as I am him. He is a warrior of optimism, long winded but good with words, loves music(he listens to the replacements for god sakes), kick boxes, is a gentemen, friends w/ mostly women & knows them better then most men, is known as the all around nice guy. People, is that not me?

On Saturday I volunteered with some other people from my squadron painting bleachers, snack shacks, and bathrooms @ a local pee wee football feild. It was a lot of fun and very rewarding. Being able to work outside, play with some of the little kids, and see and someplace that I had yet to go was awesome.

Today the entire gulfcoast is preparing for the arrival of Katrina. She is expected to set down overnight Sunday into Monday morning so we will be sheltering tonight after formation most likely. W/ 175 mph winds she is going to be a bitch. Yeah base clean up. I am going to round off this very long blog entry - Do yourself a favor and rent the movie "Say Anything" and off I go into total confinement for the next 24-36 hours.

No comments: