Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Closure

I am no longer in limbo and it is very nice. Today SMSgt(Senior Master Sergeant) Caveneau came and briefed us on what exactly is happening to us concerning our job training and here is the list of goals the 81st training group has planned for:

1. Bring 400 of the 1100 airmen that were sent away 3 weeks ago back to Keesler to continue training in the jobs that are in high demand for the USAF. Air Traffic Controllers, Ground Radio, PC Networking(my AFSC), weather, etc.
2. Bring airmen from basic training to Keesler for thier job training.
3. Get life somewhat back to normal here @ Keesler AFB.

I know that life here in the gulf coast region will not be the way it was before the hurricane for years to come. So pretty much life here @ Keesler will totally sucks more than it did pre-Katrina however my peers and I are happy that they are atleast bringing our friends back from Texas and the other bases they were shipped off to for training. A wonderful reunion will commence.

Today my detail team was suppossed to go off base and give rations, water, supplies and clothing to shelters in the area. This would have been the first any of us have left the base in the last 3.5 weeks. However the transport that was suppossed to come and pick my Team up never showed up so we sat around in the Fish Tank(the area in the squadron where there is satellite TV and Halo 2 tournaments) and watched the films Top Gun and Shawn of the Dead. For the most part it was a complete waste of my day because although they were both entertaining films I would much rather be outside working and contributing something than watching TV. As I told my close friend Henderson, I get up in the morning to do something, not sit around on my ass.

Life is better here at Keesler. Especially since our briefing w/ the SMSgt. One of the major things that strike me with the upper enlisted core is that they deliver no smoke screens and shovel no bullshit. Any one who knows me knows that I can be a good bullshitter. You can't bullshit a bullshitter. What SMSgt said to my squadron today was direct and to the point and might not have been what everyone wanted to hear but it gave people closure. It was definitive. Now that my squadron has closure, each of us will have to look into our own experience, values and disciplines to see what we want and need from our future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sophie and i miss you lots!
we'll probably find out when the latin convention is sometime next week. i can't wait!