Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My Venture

Responsibility, reality and the bitch of life all followed my shadow this past sunday the 4th. I woke up hoping to get a good start on the day with a run and then to pack up the last of my things. Unfortunately & fortunately it began to snow as I was walking out the door so I decided against the morning run. The day consisted of visiting my grandmother with my mother where I had a wonderful time talking about what lay ahead for me in california. My grandmother is one of my favorite people, she knows how to be a friend and even more so a parent.

Later my mother, my brother Zack and I had a late lunch @ Gippers, the place where I have been going to eat since I was about 9 years old. It was a short but sentimental dinner. While eating my Reuben sandwich I realized how it was going to be the last time I would eat there in a long time to come.

After that I hung out with Audrey & Sophie where we just looked at pictures on my comp of the Hurricane & Tech school. They are the people in my life right now who really ground me, reminding me of how compassionate & 'good' some people naturally are. Also they are just really funny. Then I saw my friend Shelly and she brought me over to my Dad's house where I saw him for just a little bit. Enough to bank the memory of just being with him since I will not be seeing hom for a while.

We got to the airport without problems. My mother was wearing her beautiful red coat and hat that she usually wears during the christmas season. It accents her hair and makes her lips look full. My mother really is a beautiful woman. As I was getting in the security line to enter the terminal I noticed that she had started crying. Her baby was leaving. He was going to safety, to peril, to make love, to lose love, to reside under men perhaps better than himself or perhaps not better, to live, to learn, to serve, to call her on christmas day to see how her holiday is evolving, to look at pictures in his wallet of the people close to him in his world, to use the manners she instilled, to wear the face that measures close to her own, to use the compassion she taught him. He is her son. I am her son. When I hugged her and saw in her teary eyes how the mixture of sadness & glee conjured potent bliss for although she could not join her son who she had nursed; she knew that it was his time for his venture. My venture.

No comments: