Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Looking into my Funeral


If I was deemed a mute and given the choice to have any voice I desire - there would be no conflict in my mind, I would instantly have the voice of Van Morrison. He is my favorite artist period, bar none, awesome. the album 'Tupelo Honey,' my dad had it on vinyl and I had listened to it a bunch before I came into the Air Force but I recently purchased it on cd. Although it does not have the supreme sound quality as a vinyl record does it still is friggin unbelievable. Talk about some good Folk, Celtic, Soul, Blues, Rock Music. Yes all those and much more. I highly suggest you all go pick it up.

Of course after listening to 'Tupelo Honey,' I had to listen to every other Van Morrison album that I own, which I did and I got to listen to my favorite song in the entire world, the song that will play at my funeral "Caravan" however only the live version from the album 'It's Too Late to Stop Now' that clocks in at 9:20. I read this essay by my favorite author Nick Hornsby,(High Fidelity, About a Boy) and he said that he would want that song played at his funeral as well which I thought was an eerie coincidence. The only part that may be strange about having "Caravan" play at my funeral during the service is in the bridge of the song Van introduces the band. He says "Nancy Ellis on viola...Bill Ellwood on trumpet...Jack Schoers on sax..." I don't know any of those people. It may seem kind of strange for everyone else there.

But with how passionately Nancy, Bill and Jack play their instruments on "Caravan" -
I hope the people that come to my funeral are as passionate about something as Nancy, Bill and Jack are.

P.S. Oh and in the song, the crowd does this awesome hand clap rhythm that I would hope my friends and family would get into. Just looking into my funeral I would want everyone together in this hand clap - I just think it would fit me really well.

No comments: