Thursday, January 01, 2009

The Multifaceted Golden Rule

"...I may repeat 'Do as you would be done by' till I am black in the face, but I cannot really carry it out till I love my neighbor as myself: and I cannot learn to love my neighbor as myself till I learn to live in God: and I cannot learn to love God except by learning to obey Him. And so, as I warned you, we are driven on to something more inward-driven on from social matters to religious matters. For the longest way round is the shortest way home." - C.S. Lewis

As a child I sat during church service and I remember when the pastor explained for the first time to me the Golden Rule, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." It was the first time in my recollection that I connected with a sermon. This saying, this scripture, Matthew 7:12, spoke to me. My mother raised me to use this frame of thinking in living my life and in my relationships.

I never thought of this rule as multifaceted until recently. I thought I was doing okay, trying to do the selfless acts, attempting to be the most genuine person I can. I tried to do what I felt was best for the situation. However, there are people in my life who I perceive as being much more honest, genuine and fulfilled than I am and I wondered how did they do it. All of these people had God as the most active thing in their lives. I distinctly remember the pastor saying in church that if I followed the Golden Rule than I would be "okay" in life. However, I agree with Lewis in that I cannot love my neighbor as myself until I learn to do as God wishes me to do. 

God gives you a clearer way on how to do right. By following the direction God has laid for me I will not only be truer to him but truer to myself: I will therefore have greater precision in choosing what is best for me and with God's help mirror this behavior to others so that they follow in His will.  

No comments: