Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Hackett Mouth

n. hackett mouth - hack*ett mou*th (hac-ett mow-th) - a chronic condition predominantly found in Scot-Irish people residing in the highlands of Northern New England. Condition is usually genetic & passed along through the generations. Patient often uncontrollably tells people off and explains him/herself despite hazards of the environment. Patient often gets into trouble.

On a recent Easter Sunday my Cousin Matthew(on my mother's side) who had never met any of my mother's friends talked about how his big mouth, his "Hackett Mouth" had gotten him into trouble. My mother's friend who heard this all smiled and laughed in agreement particularly on the reference to the "Hackett Mouth," since they were well aware of my mother's ability to say exactly what she thinks. I have inherited this condition.

To many of you this may not be that big of a surpise however to others you may just smile and come to a realization about me as you read this post. I have lived with Hackett Mouth my entire life but recently the outbreaks have been more frequent. For example as many of you know I am in with Audrey Schwinn - (currently my favorite person in the world, well next to my mother and Van Morrison but Audrey understands this and knows she has to share my heart with these two other people.) Without going into detail in respect to Audrey and our relationship; she was doing something that was bugging me and I said something that I shouldn't have said at that time or much rather should not have worded the way I did and before I knew it I had another outbreak. She was big time pissed at me but thankfully our communication skills are pretty high so we worked it all out. Looking back this event can definitely be categorized as our first conflict of interest.

My hackett mouth condition although getting me into trouble can have a positive effect in the end. Definitely not all the time though. However in the case of Audrey and I my hackett mouth augmented our relationship. It was reaffirmed to me how it is okay to disagree - that's what gives the relationship its earthquakes but earthquakes forge the beautiful landscapes that make relationships worth having.

No comments: