Monday, December 15, 2008

Snow Day!

view from the kitchenette
my first christmas tree

the main house
this is my attempt at an artistic expression


Seeing snow like this gets me excited. Not just because its beautiful, or because it means I will be going skiing. Snow links me to my childhood. My mother can tell you how I grew up playing the snow. I remember playing in outside during blizzards, making forts out of the ginormous mountains of snow, friday nights at Lost Valley, snow days from school. Snow brings nostalgia and a familiarity. 

I am reminded of the song "Acadian Driftwood" by the Band where a lyric goes "Set my compass north / I have winter in my blood." When I experience this weather my spirit shows sides of itself that only come out when the world is covered in white.  

What people don't understand about snow is how it bring cohesion to the world around us. For a brief period of time everything is one, we see the earth as one majestic creation. Regardless of whether you believe in Creation or creation, when one sees the beauty that is winter they can ask for nothing more nor receive anything less than pure contentment. 

1 comment:

Ezra said...

Snow is friggin' great.